Over the past couple of weeks I made a Star Wars skirt. I am a fan of the movies and when I saw the fabric at Spotlight I just couldn’t go past it! This skirt has been made following Gertie’s Pattern. I did make it a little shorter because I’m only 5’3” and a little wider because I like lots of gathers.
I put off making this for a month! Sometimes my sewing machine intimidates me. It is a heavy thing from the 60’s which is a pain when sewing in a shared space. And cutting pieces out is so final. I sit on projects for so long that I can’t go back and get the same fabric. On Thursday I just felt like I had to start. I wouldn’t let myself put it off anymore.
I created a little kit to go with my sewing machine. With everything in the one case I could just pull it out and sew – no digging through my various craft boxes.
I kept in there:
pinking shears (cause I’m lazy and don’t want to zigzag all my edges)
quick unpick (otherwise known as a seamripper)
2 extra machine needles
pincushion and pins
the fabric pieces
and my machine manual of course.
I had a lot of fabric to gather into the waist so I did a very long running stitch and gathered it along the thread. This made pinning the gathers into the waistband so much easier!
The most difficult thing to do was inserting the zip because I made it more difficult for myself than it needed to be. I watched a whole lot of videos about it on youtube and we eventually got there…
I am so ready to wear this for Episode 7: The Force Awakens.
P.S just looked up the release date and it is soooooo far far away!!
I promise I was creative today! I started a Pokemon embroidery thinking that it would be little and not take very long. But it always takes longer than I expect. It just looks like a blob right now so I’ll finish it up and show you tomorrow? In the meantime, here is one of my most recent projects. The Moneta dress from the Coletterie.
When I embarked on this project it would be the first time I had attempted clothes making in two years! And a stretch fabric no less. Needless to say, I was mildly terrified.
Thank fully this pattern is at a beginner level. It took me about 6 hours of sewing, plus extra cutting out the pattern pieces. There were two parts that I found a little difficult: hemming the neckline and attaching the bodice to the skirt with elastic. The latter was my own fault, having not bought any of the clear elastic which would have made it much easier. The neckline was fiddly and attempting it at midnight was probably not the best idea. When I tried it again in the morning it was easy!
One thing I didn’t consider when using a digital pattern is the amount of time spent putting the paper together. If you get a digital pattern go get it printed on a large A2 sheet or similar. It will save yourself hours!
I really like this dress and will probably make another one. It was super comfy and even has pockets!!!
The pattern is available over at Colette Patterns.
I made this in August last year and it has worn out already because I loved it so much.
Today I made a super easy and entirely handsewn pincushion.
I cut a circle out of the fabric with some pinking shears, and then gathered it at the bottom with a pulled running stitch. After stuffing it I decorated it with embroidery thread and a cute button.
It was good to finally use some of the oodles and oodles of fabric and buttons I have hanging around. Now I have no more reasons to put off sewing clothes… I guess we’ll see how that goes in the next week.